Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


  • Why study in the U.S.A.?

    Studying in the U.S. can open many doors and opportunities academically and for career growth. Additionally, your English can drastically improve, you will gain a global perspective, and at Millersville Universtiy, you will receive top-notch student support while gaining an education worth the investment. 

    Our current international students have chosen to study at Millersville University for it's academic excellence, flexible education system, support system for our international students, cultural diversity, and campus life. 

    Explore our My EPPIIC Journey student profiles for more information about the student experience. 

    Back to top
  • Who is an "International" Applicant?

    Millersville University considers international applicants students who entered or plan to enter the United States on a non-immigrant visa (e.g., F-1, J-1, H-1b, etc.) and maintain non-immigrant status (e.g. Temporary Protected Status (TPS)) throughout their study at Millersville University. This includes those who have submitted residency application documents to USCIS, but have not received formal approval verifying that they have become a permanent resident of the United States of America.

    Domestic (or U.S.) applicants are students who are United States citizens, permanent residents of the United States (“Green Card” holders), asylees, refugees, undocumented students, or DACA students.

    Back to top
  • Is Millersville University Accredited?

    Yes! You can find out more about the accreditations we hold here and verify our accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education here.

    Back to top
  • What are the housing options and requirements for Millersville?

    You can take a virtual tour of Millersville University's housing options here. Millersville also offers several 'living-learning communities' - more information can be seen here

    All undergraduate applicants with less than 60 transferrable credits are required to live on campus. More information on this policy can be found here

    Applicants with an address or sponsor living within 40 miles one way should use this address on their admissions application. If admitted, this form will need to be submitted to International Programs and Services. 

    English Language Institute, eligible transfer, and graduate addmitted students are not required to live on campus. Please see the "off-campus housing" widget at the bottom of the "Admitted Students Checklist" for additional options. 

    Back to top
  • Can I work while being an international student?

    Yes, international students can work on-campus up to 20 hours per week during the school year. During the summer, international students can work on campus, up to 40 hours per week.

    Back to top
  • Does Millersville have any connections with local employers?

    Yes! While Millersville University interacts with local employers in a variety of ways, the most impactful initiatives for students are employment-related opportunities.

    Our Career Center is an amazing reference, to learn more please follow this link.  

    There are also sometimes initiatives with local employers that result in research opportunities for students, for example, this radar system installed on campus or this partnership or this partnership with a biological laboratory

    Back to top
  • What is campus safety like?

    Millersville University considers student safety and security in all we do. Follow this link to learn about campus-wide safety efforts as well as this information from campus housing.

    Back to top
  • How do I get in contact with your office?

    International Admissions staff can be contacted through email, call, text, WhatsApp, or by booking a virtual appointment.

    Back to top

Admissions Requirements and Application Process

  • What programs do you offer?
    Back to top
  • What if I can't decide what to study?

    It can be overwhelming to know what you would like to study if you are just graduating from secondary school. Do not worry, this is common. About 20-50% of American students start their degree with an 'undeclared' major. What's more, around 75% of American students change their major at least once. A strength of the US education system is the freedom to customize your educational experience. 

    If you are seeking a bachelor's degree and are not yet sure what to study, you can apply for our Exploratory Program. Please follow this link for more information.

    There will also be additional resources for you to better explore career paths, such as this Career Assessment tool from our Career Center

    Back to top
  • How do I apply?

    To get started, review our degree programs listed on our website to find the best match for your interests.

    We will need:

      + Review the detailed application process.

    Back to top
  • When will my application be reviewed?

    Only completed applications to Millersville University will be reviewed. A "complete" application is an application that has been submitted and then had all required materials submitted for review. These requirements will change by level. 

    Please monitor your status page to ensure that all required materials are received

    Back to top
  • What are the admissions requirements for Millersville?

    You will be asked to submit your unofficial transcripts with your application, and we generally look for a 3.0+ GPA on a US-weighted 4.0 scale. The International Admissions team will evaluate your grades to determine if they are admissible.

    + See the specific requirements for undergraduate students and graduate students.

    Back to top
  • Do you offer application fee waivers?

    We do not require application fees for international applicants - there is no need to request a waiver.

    Back to top
  • Do you offer [insert exam name here] waivers?

    We do not offer waivers for any admission aptitude test (GRE, MAT, etc) or English Language Exam (Duolingo, IELTS, TOEFL, etc).

    Back to top
  • Are the SAT or ACT scores compulsory for admission?

    No, SAT or ACT test scores are not required for admission. We will review your academic transcripts to determine your GPA. However, SAT or ACT test scores may satisfy English proficiency requirements and may satisfy your math or English placement tests later in the enrollment process should you be admitted.

    Back to top
  • Can the person who writes my recommendation send it directly to Millersville?

    In the online application process, you are prompted to enter your recommenders' names and email addresses. Your recommenders are provided password-protected access to the online recommendation form which is submitted electronically and includes a free-form text box for your recommender’s written comments.

    Back to top
  • What are the requirements for references?

    A total of 3 references are required for graduate applications:

    • One academic reference (typically a professor) is required. 
    • One professional reference (typically an employer or supervisor) is required. 
    • The third is your choice of an additional academic or professional reference.
    • These references should not be a personal or familial relationship.

    References must be placed on your application form at the time of submission and any reference letter needs to be provided to Millersville University directly by your reference via the form sent to them by the Millersville Application system.

    If your reference is struggling with the form, have them email your reference letter to with your full name and email referenced in the message.   

    Back to top
  • What are Academic Transcripts?

    'Academic transcripts' are official academic records with details of subjects studied along with grades received in each subject. These are sometimes known as 'marksheets,' 'statements of learning,' 'records of achievement,' 'grade cards,' or other similar names. 

    An academic transcript of a degree usually consists of the following:

    1. Name of the Academic University/ Institution
    2. Accreditation
    3. Name of Student
    4. Date of Birth
    5. Year of graduation
    6. Roll Number of Student
    7. Name of Degree
    8. Duration of Course Taken
    9. List of Courses
    10. Grades obtained in all courses
    11. A Cumulative Grade Point Average

    Millersville University will requrie your consolidated transcripts/marksheets with your final degree certificate. Please see here for more information

    Back to top
  • Which of my Academic Transcripts are required?

    It is required for you to share your entire academic history with Millersville University. 

    • Secondary (high school) transcripts are only required for first-year applicants. 
    • Any test credit earned, such as AP, IB, A/AS levels, etc - must be provided to Millersville. 
    • Any student with post-secondary coursework awarded must submit official transcripts from ALL other undergraduate and graduate institutions attended, including ALL undergraduate transfer institutions.
    • Micro-credentials or coursework from academic institutions, not holding accreditation equivilant to that of US regional accrediation, are not required. 

    Withholding required academic coursework from your application to Millersville University may impact any admission offer granted. 

    Back to top
  • Can you take 3 year bachelor's degrees from India?

    Applicants to our graduate programs are eligible to apply with a 3-year bachelor's degree IF your school is accredited by NAAC and has a grade of A. Please keep in mind that you will also need to meet the program's academic criteria.

    Back to top
  • Does Millersville University require that I obtain a credential evaluation?

    Millersville University staff articulate international credentials in-house and utilize best practices set forth by ACCRAO Edge & TAICEP.

    All applicants can submit a clear copy of their credentials (transcripts and/or consolidated marksheets) in both the original language and in English to have an in-house evaluation done by Millersville University.
    Unofficial transcripts can be used to issue an admission decision, but official transcripts are requried for enrollment at Millersville University. 

    This evaluation will be the basis for Millersville to establish your degree’s US equivalency and Grade Point Average (GPA) which will ultimately determine your admissibility and transferrable credits.

    Evaluations completed by members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or endorsed members of the Association of International Credential Evaluations (AICE) may be accepted if supplied at the time of admission. Neither a NACES nor AICE evaluation is required. If you choose to obtian an evaluation, please refer to this guide for more information. 

    Follow this link for more information on transcript requirements. 

    Back to top
  • How can I know the current progress of my application?

    Please monitor your status page. The text of your page will change throughout your admissions cycle. 

    Back to top
  • How long does it take to receive an admission decision?

    For undergraduate applications, it can take up to 15 business days to review a completed application (a submitted application form that has all required documents received by our office).

    For graduate applications, the duration varies depending on the time of year. Graduate decisions are made by the academic department and not the international admissions office. 

    Back to top
  • Does Millersville University Require a Confirmation Fee?

    Not at this time.

    Currently, students simply need to complete the "Admission Reply Form" on this status page to confirm their intent to enroll. 

    Back to top
  • What are the deadlines?

    Millersville University works on a rolling admission basis so there is not a strict deadline; however, we have advisory deadlines to assist in making sure you can secure a visa appointment before the semester starts.

    • Fall - June 1st
    • Spring - November 1st

    While most graduate programs also admit on a rolling basis, there are some with specific deadlines. Please refer to the Graduate Timelines & Requirements Website for more information. 

    Back to top
  • How can I defer my application?

    If you are unable to make it to Millersville in time for the start of the semester, please complete the 'Change Request' form in order to defer. This form cannot be completed for a term that has already closed; all forms must be submitted before the add/drop date of your admit term. 

    No application can be deferred further than one academic year: 

    • An application can be deferred to the next term a maximum of 2 times
    • An application can be deferred an academic year a maximum of one time

    Graduate applications are not always guaranteed a deferred admission due to limited capacity in some programs.

    If your application cannot be deferred for one of the reasons above, you will need to apply to your chosen program of study again. 

    Back to top
  • Can I start as a non-degree student to a specific program?

    Yes, you may begin your study as a non-degree student, but there are certain limitations.

    • As a non-degree student, it is not possible to host an F-1 student visa for you. 
    • Also, some academic programs limit the availability of their courses to non-degree students or reserve only a few seats in their courses for non-degree students.
    • Prospective non-degree students should check with the program coordinator of their intended program to determine the availability and selection of courses.
    • Financial aid is not available for non-degree students.
    Back to top
  • Is it possible to study nursing at Millersville University?

    As our nursing programs have shifted to online instruction, it is not possible for an international student who will require an F-1 visa hosted by Millersville University to study nursing on our campus.

    Back to top
  • Does Millersville University offer "STEM-Designated" degrees?

    Yes! There are many programs that Millersville University offers at the undergraduate level and one master's level degree that has been formally classified as STEM. Graduation from one of these programs would provide that student the possibility to apply for the STEM OPT extension.

    Back to top
  • Do I need to provide financial documentation to receive an admission decision?

    No. The Source of Funds form and Proof of Funds checklist items on your application status page are only there for your reference before you receive an admissions decision. 

    Should you be admitted to Millersville University and accept that offer, those items will be required in order for you to obtain a 'Certificate of Eligibility" also known as a Form I-20. 

    Back to top

Transferring as an International Student

  • Am I an international transfer student?

    Any applicant who has taken post-secondary coursework following completion of high school is considered a 'transfer' student.

    Back to top
  • What application materials do I need to submit?
    Back to top
  • When will you evaluate my transfer credits?

    Transfer credit evaluations are completed for students who have been admitted and confirmed their intent to enroll at Millersville University once they have obtained their visa or demonstrate current legal immigration status.

    Official transcripts are also required for Millersville University to accept any transferrable credit. 

    Back to top
  • Can I transfer from another U.S. school and finish my degree at Millersville?

    Yes, if you are an F-1 student, you will need to ask for your immigration record to be transferred from your current school to Millersville University once admitted.

    The transfer equivalency database will be helpful for you in planning for this transfer. 

    Back to top
  • Do I need to provide proof of English Proficiency as a transfer student?

    It depends, please see our English Proficiency Requirements to see if you are eligible for a waiver.

    Back to top
  • What do I need to provide so my previously completed classes can be transferred to Millersville?

    In order for us to conduct the evaluation of your transfer credit, we may request course descriptions for previous coursework completed that is related to your intended major at Millersville University. Course descriptions are typically obtained from the school’s website, syllabus, or previous professors.

    Back to top

English Language Requirements

  • Can I still apply with low or no English proficiency?

    Yes, students applying to an undergraduate program, who are unable to provide proof of English proficiency or are in need of English training, can apply for conditional admission.

    Conditionally admitted students will be tested upon their arrival to campus and will be required to enroll in courses, as necessary, through the English Language Institute before beginning their academic studies.

    Back to top
  • What exams do you accept and what scores do I need to get?

    We accept several formats to fulfill the English language requirements. Examples include: 

    • TOEFL
    • IELTS
    • Duolingo
    • More

    See the full list here.

    Back to top
  • I'm looking to improve my English. What educational services are available?
    • If interested in only improving your English skills and not enrolling at Millersville University, you can apply to the English Language Institute.
    • If you plan to also enroll in academic courses at Millersville University after completing English classes, begin with an international application for conditional admission
    Back to top
  • What if my English Scores are below the minimum requirement?

    Apply for conditional admission. Conditionally admitted students will be tested upon their arrival to campus and will be required to enroll in courses, as necessary, through the English Language Institute before beginning their academic studies.

    Back to top
  • What if I am applying from an English speaking country?

    Please see English Proficiency Requirements point 1 for a full list of nations for which we will waive the English Language Requirement.

    Back to top
  • Will Millersville accept a letter from my school to satisfy the English requirement?

    No. To maintain consistency in standards for applications we receive globally, we have established the English Proficiency Requirements listed here. To satisfy this requirement, you will need to provide the appropriate materials. 

    While there is a process to petition this requirement, it is reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and approval is rarely granted. 

    Back to top

International Scholarships and Costs

  • How much does Millersville University cost?

    Millersville University is one of the most affordable four-year universities located conveniently near the Northeast Corridor (NEC) (the railroad system that connects the major metropolitan areas of Boston, MA, New York, NY, Philadelphia, PA, and Washington, DC.)

    Back to top
  • What scholarships do you offer international students?
    • Undergraduate: We have partial awards ranging from $3,000 - $7,000 in total. Students can also work on campus up to 20 hours per week, sometimes making between $5,760 to $9,600 per year depending on hours and position worked, so tuition fees might be cut in half if you are awarded scholarships and work on-campus. Learn more about undergraduate scholarship opportunities. 
    • Graduate: Students can apply for graduate assistantships after completing their application for admission to a graduate program. These are competitive, but can significantly lower your overall costs to Millersville University. Learn more about graduate assistantships and other avenues of support.
    Back to top
  • Do you offer full-tuition scholarships?

    No, we do not offer full-tuition scholarships.

    Back to top
  • Can I get a loan to study at Millersville?

    In most cases, students fund their MU education through scholarships and support from family or friends as sponsors. 

    While Millersville University does not provide loans directly to students, we have provided this link for your convenience in exploring safe options for funding. 

    Back to top
  • Does Millersville offer any additional scholarships or support?

    All admitted and enrolled students at Millersville University have access to the Scholarship Universe portal to explore additional funding approtunites. Please see here for more information.

    Back to top
  • Does Millersville have payment plans available?
    Yes! Installment payment plans are available (not required) for the fall and spring semesters. They are available for up to 6-months and require a $30 enrollment fee. More information can be found here.
    Back to top
  • Where can I find out about graduate assistantships?

    Graduate assistantships are available to master’s degree students across campus in a variety of administrative offices and academic departments. Students interested in graduate assistantships should visit our graduate assistant webpage. The deadline date to submit a graduate assistant application to the College of Graduate Studies is early February for full consideration in the following fall term.

    Back to top
  • How long can a student work as a graduate assistant? How much does an assistant earn?

    Assistantships are awarded for a nine-month period (fall and spring semesters only) to students admitted to a master’s degree program and are renewable for a second academic year. Graduate assistants awarded a full-time assistantship receive a tuition waiver up to 24 graduate credits and a stipend of $5,000 for their first year. In their second year as a full-time graduate assistant, the student will receive a tuition waiver up to 24 graduate credits and a stipend of $5,400.

    Back to top