Frequently Asked Questions
- When will I get my room and roommate assignment?
- Can I make a room/hall change?
- What are my residence hall choices?
- Can I bring a refrigerator for my room?
- Can I cook in my room?
- How are the residence halls cleaned?
- What if something is broken in my room?
- What if I lose my room key?
- Are my belongings insured by the University?
- What is the visitation policy?
- Do I have to be on a meal plan?
- What is campus safety like?
- What shouldn't I bring?
- Can I have a car on campus?
- May I have a pet in the residence halls?
- What should I do if I need accommodations for a medical condition or disability?
- Where are the best places to study?
- Who is responsible for the residence halls?
- Where can I do laundry?
When will I get my room and roommate assignment?Once you are notified in your email, you will be able to log on to your My Housing and view your room assignment and roommate(s).Back to top
Can I make a room/hall change?
Room changes are not permitted during the first week of classes each semester. This "freeze" period allows time to locate existing vacancies (though occupancy checks) and provides for a period whereby the residential population may stabilize. Room changes may be process on an "as-needed" basis throughout the semester(depending on availability of space). Anyone who wishes to make a room change must make an appointment to meet with their hall's Graduate Assistant or Residential Area Director.
What are my residence hall choices?
Choices cannot be guaranteed due to space limitations.
- East, South, and West Village
- Reighard Hall - reserved for Honor's College
ShenksHall- reserved for upperclassmen
Can I bring a refrigerator for my room?
Yes, as long as the refrigerator does not exceed 4.6 cubic feet.
Can I cook in my room?Only small microwaves (not exceeding 1140 watts) are allowed in the rooms. For more information about approved appliances, please refer to our living on campus guide.Back to top
How are the residence halls cleaned?
Suite-style residence rooms (bedroom, bathroom, common area) have to be cleaned by the residents of that room. The housekeeping staff in those halls will clean the hall-wide common areas (lounges, kitchens, hallways).
What if something is broken in my room?If there is an issue with something in your room ( HVAC not working, light burnt out,etc.), please go to your residence hall's front desk to request a work order. Please provide the staff with a detailed description of the problem.Back to top
For issues with the Internet or cable in your room, please contact the Help Desk at (717) 871-7777.
What if I lose my room key?
If you lose your room key, please contact a staff member in your residence hall and they will order a lock change. If you can not find a staff member in your residence hall, please call the Housing and Residential Programs Office for assistance. You will be billed for the new keys and the lock core change. The lock change is mandatory and is made to protect the students from unwanted intruders.
Are my belongings insured by the University?
Millersville University does not insure your personal belongings and does not assume liability for any thefts or damages. A parent's homeowner's policy may provide insurance coverage or you can purchase additional coverage through renter's insurance.
What is the visitation policy?
Please refer to our full guest/visitation policy located in the Living on Campus Guide.
- All halls at MU have 24 hour visitation.
- Student can have guests in their room only if there is no objection from their roommate(s).
- Any guests of a hall residence can only enter or leave the residence hall by the main lobby doors and must be escorted at all times by their host.
- Visitors/guests who want to sleep over may do so anytime, but only with the agreement of the roommate(s).
Do I have to be on a meal plan?
Yes, all residence hall students are required to have a meal plan. All residence hall students will be assigned a meal plan as part of the room assignment process.
What is campus safety like?
- University Police work round-the-clock on campus and can be reached 24 hours a day at (717) 871-4357. They provide escort service during the late night hours and patrol the campus including the residence hall areas at night.
- Residence hall staff members are trained to deal with emergency situations.
- Resident Assistants are on duty in each residence hall nightly. Graduate Assistants and Professional staff are on-call nightly during the academic year.
- There are fire alarm systems and smoke detectors in all halls.
- Entrances and peripheral doors leading to residential areas are locked at all times.
- All halls have electronic card access
What shouldn't I bring?Please refer to the "What to Bring" page and also review our Living on Campus Guide. If you are not sure about something, please give the Housing and Residential Programs Office a call at (717) 871-4200.Back to top
Can I have a car on campus?Resident students who wish to park their vehicles on campus are required to have a valid parking permit. The permit can be purchased online through your student account (MAX). You will need to have your housing assignment from the HARP office, and your student ID card with you when you pick up your purchased permit at the Parking Office in the Lebanon House.Back to top
New students will have the option to purchase the full year permit. Upperclassmen registration will open before freshmen students can apply.
May I have a pet in the residence halls?
Students may only bring fish in a one (1) gallon or less tank.
What should I do if I need accommodations for a medical condition or disability?
Contact the Learning Services Office at (717) 871-5554, to obtain a verification form as soon as possible.
Where are the best places to study?
Courtesy regarding noise is expected in all residence halls, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
- Residence hall study lounges
- The library
- The Student Memorial Center
- Classrooms in academic buildings
Who is responsible for the residence halls?
The Department of Housing and Residential Programs manage the operation of the residence halls. The central office staff is comprised of a Director, two Associate Directors, an Occupancy Coordinator, and a Department Secretary. Residential Area Directors manage the residential life components in the residence halls. Residential Area Directors supervise student staff, coordinate educational programs, uphold policies and rules, manage emergencies, and are available when students need assistance with residential, academic, or personal concerns.
Where can I do laundry?
Laundry facilities are located in every residence hall. Students can pay for laundry either with quarters or by using Marauder Gold on their Millersville IDs. The cost for laundry is as follows:
- $1.50 washer
- $1.25 dryer