PDE Act 48 Reporting For Educators
PDE Act 48 Reporting for Educators
Millersville University provides Pennsylvania educators with a web tool to request that we report courses you have taken at Millersville to the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) in compliance with Act 48 requirements. Millersville’s Act 48 reporting guidelines are as follows:
- You must initiate the Act 48 reporting request by signing on the MAX web system and identifying the courses you want us to report. The form in MAX is accessible here:
- You may report as many MU courses as you wish to PDE.
- Please see section below for information regarding PIL/Act 45 submission. Millersville cannot submit for Act 45 at this time, and you mut make the request through Shippensburg University.
- Only credit-bearing courses that have been successfully completed may be reported; if you are currently enrolled in a course, wait until the course is graded to report it.
- When you finish processing your course selections, a confirmation message will be displayed on your screen. We encourage you to print a copy for yourself and/or your school district or employer.
- Millersville will transmit the course data directly to PDE on your behalf.
- PDE determines which courses count toward the Professional Continuing Education Period (CEP) on your PDE account.
PIL/Act 45 Reporting
If you have taken any of the following courses and wish to receive ACT 45/PIL credit for them, DO NOT submit this form through Millersville. You must submit an official transcript to Shippensburg University and fill out the ACT 48/ACT 45 PIL Form on the Shippensburg University website here: https://www.ship.edu/academics/academics-resources/registrar/act_48_form/.
MU ELPP832 - Introduction to Executive Leadership (3 Credits)
MU ELP822 - Communication Theory for School District Administrators (3 Credits)
MU ELPP828 - Emergent Technologies and Instructional Practices (3 Credits)
MU ELPP829 - Political/Social Context for Educational Leadership (3 Credits)
MU ELP808 - Qualitative Research in Educational Leadership (3 Credits)
MU ELPP820N –Introduction to Research in Educational Leadership (3 Credits)
MU ELPP831 –Educational Statistics (3 Credits)
MU ELPP830N –Quantitative Research in Educational Leadership (3 Credits)
MU ELPP721R/821R – Residency: Strategic Leadership in District Governance (4 Credits)
MU ELPP723R/823R – Residency: Negotiations and Personnel Strategic Decision Making (4 Credits)
MU ELPP724R/824R – Residency: Ethical and Legal Decision-making at the District Level (4 Credits)
MU ELPP725R/825R –Residency: The Impact of Facilities and Plant Management Decisions on School Effectiveness (4 Credits)
MU ELPP726R/826R –Residency: Optimizing Financial Resources to Support District Level Achievement (4 Credits)
MU ELPP727R/827R –Residency: Instructional & Technology Leadership at the Executive Level (4 Credits)
MU ELPP890 –Research in Educational Leadership Part 1 (1 Credit)
MU ELPP891 –Research in Educational Leadership Part 2 (1 Credit)
MU ELPP897 –Dissertation Seminar Educational Leadership (3 Credits)
MU ELPP898 –Dissertation I – Educational Leadership (3 Credits)
MU ELPP899 –Dissertation II – Educational Leadership (3 Credits)
Instructions for Act 48 Reporting
WHAT COURSES CAN BE REPORTED TO PDE?
When you sign on to MAX web and select Act 48 Reporting, you will see a list of the courses you have completed successfully (i.e., with a passing grade). Select the course(s) you would like us to report to PDE. Not included on the list are:
- Courses with failing, unsatisfactory (U), incomplete (I), or withdrawal (W) grades
- Courses that have been repeated
- Audited courses
- Non-credit courses
- Courses taken prior to January 1, 2000
- Courses that are in-progress (you must wait to submit until grades have processed)
- Please see section above for information regarding PIL/Act 45 submission
WHAT IF I DON'T KNOW MY PROFESSIONAL PERSONNEL ID (PPID) NUMBER?
As of July 1, 2013, the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) will no longer accept Social Security numbers for the purpose of recording and tracking Act 48 hours. As you are probably aware, PDE has assigned a Professional Personnel ID (PPID) number to each educator in the state of Pennsylvania. This identification is required in order to track your own Act 48 hours on the PDE website. The PPID number must be entered when you use your Millersville University MAX account to request that MU submit course information to PDE on your behalf.
If you do not already know your PPID, please click on the following link for further instructions on how to obtain your PPID:
HOW DO I SELECT COURSES TO REPORT TO PDE?
It’s simple -- for each course you want us to report, just click the box to the left of the course on the list. If you change your mind, click the box again to deselect it, or press the Clear button to uncheck all courses not previously reported. When you are finished, press the Submit courses button at the bottom to continue. All courses with a checkmark will be listed on the next screen for you to review before your request is finalized.
HOW MANY COURSES MAY I REPORT TO PDE FOR ACT 48?
MU does not impose any limits; you may select as many courses as you want to report to PDE for Act 48. If you are unsure of the requirements, check with your school district, or visit the PDE web site for more information. MU will report all courses that you request; however, PDE determines which courses are accepted within the dates of your Continuing Education Period posted on its web site.
WHAT DOES AN “X” NEXT TO A COURSE MEAN? WHAT IS THE “REPORTED“ COLUMN FOR?
If there is an “X” to the left of a course, it means that you already submitted a request to report it to PDE. MU has either sent your course data to PDE, or will send it in the next weekly data transmission. Check the “Reported” column on the right. If “Pending” appears in this column, it means that your course data has not yet been sent. A date in this column indicates when MU transmitted the course data to PDE. Click on either the date or the word “Pending” to see a confirmation screen.
WHAT IS THE “ERROR MESSAGE“ COLUMN FOR?
If your course data was not successfully posted to your PDE Act 48 record, an error message will be provided next to the course(s) on your Act 48 reporting list in MAX. If you need further assistance, you may contact PDE directly, or get in touch with the Registrar’s Office at Millersville, 717 871-5005 or email@example.com.
WHAT INFORMATION DOES MU REPORT TO PDE?
Millersville transmits only the data listed below to PDE for Act 48 compliance. Grades are not reported to PDE.
- Your Professional Personnel ID (PPID), which is assigned by PDE to each educator in the state of Pennsylvania.
- Your full name
- The course name (MU course ID and title)
- The activity type (college course), subject area and subcategory
- Total clock hours (credits multiplied by 30; ex. 3 credits =90 hours)
- Course dates (start/end dates of the MU term in which the course was scheduled to meet)
- Credits awarded
HOW OFTEN DOES MU REPORT TO PDE?
Millersville transmits data weekly. If you recently requested ACT 48 reporting, you may check the status of individual courses in MAX under ACT 48 reporting. On the list of courses taken at MU, check the "Reported" column. If "Pending" appears, your course will be submitted within the next week. If the course was submitted to PDE, a date will be displayed. Click on the date or "Pending" to view a confirmation screen.
HOW CAN I VIEW THE INFORMATION THAT PDE HAS ON FILE FOR ME?
Visit the PDE web site and select "ACT 48-Continuing Professional Education." Follow the instructions to log in and check your progress.
P.O. Box 1002
Millersville, PA 17551
Lyle Hall, 1st Floor
Registrar Office Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8am to 4:30pm
If you plan to visit our office, we will ask that all visitors adhere to campus COVID-19 policies regarding masks and physical distancing.
We welcome you to connect with us via Email at any time: