Iota Phi Chapter of the Sigma Tau Delta English Honors Society
Iota Phi Chapter
The Iota Phi chapter of Sigma Tau Delta was chartered in 1986. Members receive a personalized Sigma Tau Delta membership certificate and official Society pin, and are eligible to apply for Sigma Tau Delta scholarships, to participate in international conventions, and to submit original work for publication and writing awards. You can find more information online at English.org
Iota Phi shall recognize and encourage excellence, among undergraduate and graduate students, in all aspects of English language, literature, and the many closely related fields, including literacy initiatives.
- Confers distinction for high achievement in English studies;
- Provides intellectual experiences beyond the classroom;
- Serves society by fostering, in local communities, an interest in reading, writing, and the English language;
- Encourages exemplary character and good fellowship among its members; and
- Supports opportunities for scholarship, leadership, and service.
Membership is by Invitation
Minimum Academic Qualifications for Induction
The Chapter may raise but not lower the following criteria.
- Undergraduate Criteria. A candidate for membership shall have a minimum of four college courses in English language and literature beyond the usual requirements in freshman English and Advanced Writing. The candidate shall have the minimum of a B or equivalent average in English/Writing and in general scholarship (a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale), and shall have completed at least three semesters of college course work, with at least two semesters at Millersville University.
- Graduate Criteria. A candidate for graduate membership who did not hold undergraduate membership shall be enrolled in a graduate program in English or a related field, have completed 12 semester hours of graduate work or the equivalent, and have a minimum of a B+ or equivalent average in their graduate studies (a 3.3 on a 4.0 scale).
As part of their leadership commitments, Iota Phi members promote the study of the humanities and intellectual exchange by attending three events a semester of current English-related clubs (English Club, Film Club, American Association of University Women [AAUW], or George Street Press) or Sigma Tau Delta. Alternatively, members can publish in campus publications like the Made in Millersville Journal or George Street Press as one of their events.
The chapter had five officers including a president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and historian. They are elected in spring for a term of one year with specific duties described here.