- B.A. English, Millersville University of Pennsylvania, Minor: Russian language, literature, and history.
- M.A. English, The Pennsylvania State University
- Ph.D. English, The Pennsylvania State University
- Rhetoric and Writing Studies
- Contemporary Poetics
- Avant-garde Poetry and Poetics
- Hermeneutic Phenomenology
- Hans-Georg Gadamer
- Martin Heidegger
- Poets mainstream presses hate
- The intersections of poetics and rhetoric
University and Program Connections:
- Coordinator, Academy of American Poets Student Poetry Contest (2016-present)
- Chair/Co-Chair, Writing Studies Committee (2004-2017)
- Proposer/Coordinator, Graduate Certificate in Writing (2011-2017)
Community and Club Connections:
- Faculty Adviser, The George Street Carnival, now The George Street Press (2002-2007)
- Judge. James Hale Steinman Scholarship Fund (Lancaster, PA).
Passions and Distractions:
- Poetry writing
- Art history
- Films of all varieties
- ENGL 110: Composition
- WRIT 311: Advanced Composition
- The Writing Workshop
- The Graduate Seminar in Rhetoric and Composition
- Innovative Discourses: Experimental/Academic Writing
- Creative Writing: Innovative Styling & Hybrid Genres
- Graduate Seminar in Contemporary American Poetry and Poetics
“A Three-Part Exchange on Stephen Ratcliffe’s Poetry and Thinking.” Dichtung Yammer. An on-line journal of innovative poetics. Part I--December 16, 2020; Part II--February 4, 2021; Part III--June 7, 2021.
Reading the Difficulties: Dialogues with Contemporary American Innovative Poetry. Book-length study. Editor and essay contributor with Thomas Fink. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press, 2014.
"The Game of Self-Forgetting: Reading Innovative Poetry Reading Gadamer." Essay in Reading the Difficulties: Dialogues with Contemporary American Innovative Poetry. Editor and essay contributor with Thomas Fink. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press, 2014. 127-145.
"The Experiential Ethos of Advanced Composition." Essay in Principles and Practice: New Discourses for the Vertical Curriculum. Ed. Margaret M. Strain. NY: Hampton Press, 2012. 63-85.
"Architect / House of Being." "Burning Interiors": David Shapiro's Poetry and Poetics. Eds. Thomas Fink and Joseph Lease. Madison, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2007. 31-46.
"Petaluma." Poem. Muse Apprentice Guild. Spring 2003.
Reflection and an Appetite for Experience: Theory to Classroom Practice." Journal for the Assembly of Expanded Perspectives on Learning 4 (Winter 1998-9): 52-60.