Office: McComsey 357
Ph.D. in Rhetoric, Carnegie Mellon University, 2016.
M.A. in Rhetoric, Carnegie Mellon University, 2011.
- Science Writing
- Technical Writing
- Environmental rhetoric
- Rhetoric of place
- Public sphere theory
- Discourse analysis
- Computer-aided rhetorical analysis
- Place-based pedagogy
- Susquehanna River Issues
- Environmental Advocacy
- Deliberative democracy
- Health and medical discourse
- ENGL 110: English Composition
- ENGL 242: Reading Our World: Climate Change
- WRIT 274: Craft of Writing: Writing about Place
- WRIT 311: Advanced Composition
- WRIT 312: Technical Writing
- WRIT 319: Science Writing
- WRIT 466: Writing Studies Seminar: Environmental Advocacy Writing
- WRIT 671: Special Topics in Rhetoric: Discourse Analysis
- WRIT 672: Seminar in Rhetoric and Composition
Mando, Justin. Fracking and the Rhetoric of Place: How We Argue from Where We Stand. Lexington, 2021.
Mando, Justin. "Scientist Citizens: Non-traditional and Alternative Approaches to Scientific Communication." Routledge Handbook of Scientific Communication. Routledge, 2022.
Mando, Justin and Garrett Stack. "Convincing the Public to Kill: Asian Carp and the Proximization of Invasive Species Threat." Environmental Communication, vol. 13, no. 2, 2018, pp.820-833.
Mando, Justin. "The Rhetorical Construction of Proximity in a Marcellus Shale Public Hearing." "Communicating Hydro-fracking" Special issue of Environmental Communication, vol. 10, no.3, 2016, pp. 352-364.
Johnstone, Barbara, and Justin Mando. "Proximity and Journalistic Practice in Environmental Discourse: Experiencing 'Job Blackmail' in the News." Discourse in Communication, vol. 9, no. 1, 2015, pp. 81-101.
Teagarden, Alexis, Carolyn Commer, Ana Cooke and Justin Mando. "Intellectual Risk in the Writing Classroom: Navigating Tensions in Educational Values and Classroom Practice." Composition Studies, vol. 46, no. 2, 2018, pp. 116-136.
Mando, Justin. 2022. "Mantis Move in." About Place Journal, vol. vii, no. 1, May 2022. "Mantis Move In"
Passions & Distractions:
- Fly fishing
- Recreation on the Susquehanna River
- Visiting family and friends in Slovakia
- The Chautauqua Movement