If you have been selected for Verification, you are not alone! About 30% of all FAFSA filers are selected for the Verification process, which requires the school you are attending to collect documentation to check the accuracy of the information you put on the FAFSA.
NOTE: If you have been selected for Verification, you are required to complete the process before any federal financial aid can be processed. If you have not been selected for Verification; the information below does not pertain to you.
WHAT IS VERIFICATION AND WHY WAS I SELECTED?
Verification is the confirmation through documentation that the information provided on a student's Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is correct. The federal government requires colleges and universities to verify or confirm the data reported by students and their parent(s) on the FAFSA. The verification process ensures that eligible students receive all the financial aid to which they are entitled and prevents ineligible students from receiving financial aid to which they are not entitled.
The main reasons for being selected for verification include that you were chosen randomly, the FAFSA you submitted was incomplete, your FAFSA contains estimated information or the data you provided on the FAFSA is inconsistent. Verification is a federal regulation. Students who are selected for verification are not being punished; rather, verification prevents ineligible students from receiving aid by reporting false information and ensures that eligible students receive all of the aid for which they are qualified.
HOW WILL I KNOW IF I AM SELECTED?
If you are selected for verification after completing the FAFSA, there will be an asterisk next to your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on your Student Aid Report (SAR). You will also be informed of having been selected for verification in the SAR acknowledgment letter, which will be included with your SAR documents.
Millersville University notifies all students via their MAX Account in the
myVILLEStudent Portal regarding outstanding requirements. You can be selected for verification at any time during the academic year so it is very important you check your email and your financial aid requirements on a regular basis.
If you have been selected for verification, you can view the required documentation requested by logging into your
myVILLEStudent Portal and selecting Finances > Financial Aid Requirements > Financial Aid Status > Select Aid Year.
WHAT INFORMATION IS BEING VERIFIED?
You and/or your parents may be asked to submit documentation or clarification of information for one or more of the following data elements on your FAFSA:
- Adjusted Gross Income
- Taxes Paid
- Income Earned from Work (for non-tax filers)
- Certain Untaxed Income Items
- Number of family members in the household
- Number of family members enrolled in college (excluding parents for a dependent student)
- Citizenship status
- Compliance with Selective Service registration requirement
- Any other inconsistent or conflicting information (including name, date of birth, social security number, etc.)
WHAT DOCUMENTS DO I NEED?
The documents required will vary based on each student. You can view the specific documents requested from you by logging into your myVILLE Student Portal and selecting Finances > Financial Aid Requirements > Financial Aid Status > Select Aid Year.
- Asset information
- Household Size and number in college
- Other required forms listed under your Financial Aid Requirements
USING THE DATA RETRIEVAL TOOL (DRT) ON THE
Sincethe FAFSA application asks for tax information from two years prior, your federal taxes should have already been completed and filed with the IRS. In order to move through the Verification process as seamlessly as possible, it would be recommended that you and your parents (if you are a dependent student) upload your tax information into your FAFSA directly from the IRS.
When you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, the tax information is considered to be already verified so you will not have to submit any documentation, such as Tax Return Transcripts, to our office. Much simpler for you! If your account currently shows that we are requesting tax transcripts, this will be removed about 1 to 3 weeks after you correct the FAFSA to use the IRS data retrieval.
To upload your tax information into your FAFSA using the DRT:
- Log into your FAFSA at fafsa.ed.gov
- Click the option to "Make a correction"
- Select the "Financial Information" at the top of the page
- Follow the steps to link your information from the IRS
- You will need to complete this for both parent and student if applicable
Some students and/or parents will be ineligible or will choose not to use the IRS data retrieval. In these cases, only the Tax Return Transcript will be accepted as documentation to verify tax information.
- We cannot accept 1040 forms to verify tax information.
- The Tax Return Transcript must be requested directly from the IRS.
- To request your Tax Return Transcript online or by mail, you can go directly to the IRS website.
- If you are having difficulties obtaining your Tax Return Transcript(s) you can call 1-800-TAX-1040 for assistance.
- Be sure to request the Tax Return Transcript and not the Tax Account Transcript.
FOR DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS ON USING THE DATA RETRIEVAL TOOL OR OBTAINING A TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
WHAT HAPPENS ONCE I SUBMIT MY DOCUMENTS?
Once you submit the documents to our office, you can continue to check the status of your documents by going to your myVILLE Student Portal and selecting Finances >Financial Aid Requirements > Financial Aid Status > Select Aid Year > Unsatisfied Requirements.
If we have received your documents, the status will go from "Required" to "Document Received, Not Yet Reviewed." Once the document is reviewed the status will be updated to the appropriate status:
If the requirement is incomplete or showing additional information is needed, you should contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine how it can be resolved. It is important you check on the status of your requirements so you can make sure they all verification documents have been coded as "Ready For Processing."
- "Additional Info Needed"
- "Waived" or
- "Ready for Processing."
GENERAL PROCESSING TIMELINE
If you submit the documents to our office, please allow three to four business days for the status to be updated. There is no need to send multiple documents unless you have given it sufficient processing time.
The final step in the verification process (review by a counselor) can only begin once the Office of Financial Aid has received all of your verification requirements and they are coded as "Ready for Processing".
- This can take anywhere from six to eight weeks during the months of May through August.
- After the verification process is complete, you will receive an email informing you that you have a revised award package available.
- This will only occur if changes have been made to your financial aid package (based on the additional documents requested).
- Revised award letter/notices replace any award letters/notices previously received.
WHAT IF I DON'T WANT TO COMPLETE THE VERIFICATION PROCESS?
The verification process is a federal regulation and must be completed in order for a student to receive federal aid. If you do not wish to complete the verification process, and therefore not receive financial aid, please notify the Office of Financial Aid in writing that you do not wish to comply with the verification requirements and that you understand you will not be eligible for federal aid, so that we can update your status.
Lyle Hall, 1st Floor
USPS Mailing Address:
Office of Financial Aid
P.O. Box 1002
Millersville, PA 17551-0302
Address for UPS/FedEx:
Office of Financial Aid
Lyle Hall, 1st Floor
40 Dilworth Rd
Millersville, PA 17551-0302