Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is a term used to describe the successful completion of coursework toward a degree or certificate. Federal regulation, specifically the Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended by Congress, mandates that institutions of higher education establish minimum standards for measuring whether you are making progress toward a degree. Making progress toward a degree is important for your academic success and a key factor in reducing student debt. In order to receive federal aid, you must make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at the end of each academic year. This policy is cumulative, and applies to all periods of enrollment, regardless of whether or not aid was received in the past. If you do not meet the minimum requirements, you could lose your eligibility. 

Disclaimer: SAP information can only be given to the student because it is so closely related to grades, which are protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). If the person(s) listed on your financial aid Authorization to Release call on your behalf we will not be able to speak with them.

what types of aid does sap apply to?

SAP applies to all students seeking federal Title IV financial aid such as the Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, Parent and Graduate PLUS Loans, and Work-Study. 

Some Millersville scholarships, grants, and departmental awards, as well as awards from external sources, may also require a student to be meeting SAP standards to be eligible for or to continue receiving funding.

IF YOU RECEIVE THE PA STATE GRANT, CLICK HERE.  The Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) has a separate SAP policy for PA State Grant recipients.


If you are not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress, we will send you a notification to your Millersville email once spring grades are reviewed. You can also see your SAP status in your myVILLE Portal.

check sap status


Did you have extenuating circumstances that led to you not making Satisfactory Academic Progress? You may be able to appeal your SAP status. Click below to learn more about the appeal process.