If your family experiences a change in income due to an unusual circumstance: loss of job, permanent reduction of hours, separation or divorce, death in the immediate family, reduction/loss of child support, high non-reimbursed medical expenses or your parents took money out of their pension/retirement plan as a one-time payment to help cover expenses, your federal financial aid eligibility may be re-evaluated.
The Office of Financial Aid can review your account (though a process called Special Conditions) to determine if adjustments to items on your FAFSA application can be made, ultimately impacting your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC).
Special Conditions requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and submission of the required form and other documentation does not guarantee additional financial aid.
- If any additional financial aid is awarded, it is understood that it may not be enough to drastically change the balance due to the school.
- There are some instances where a reduction of income (even if significant for your family) will not result in any changes to the students offered financial aid.
- For example: Based on Millersville University's Cost of Attendance; if you are a family of 4 and your updated/adjusted income is still over $80,000/yr, this lengthy re-evaluation process will most likely not result in any changes to the student’s financial aid.
TERMS OF THE SPECIAL CONDITIONS PROCESS
- The Special Conditions process will only affect federal financial aid eligibility. Therefore, a FAFSA must be completed by the student/parent.
- The student must be admitted to Millersville University and paid their confirmation fee (deposit) to the Admission’s Office. Pleaase note, a Special Conditions cannot be completed for prospective students who have not confirmed their acceptance.
- You agree to accept all other financial aid that is offered to you prior to the Special Conditions process being completed: including, but not limited to, Federal Direct Loans.
- To ensure that your scheduled classes aren’t dropped for non-payment, you must have a plan in place to cover any outstanding balance due to the university prior to this form being reviewed.
STEP 1: fafsa
Because the Special Condition's process only impacts federal financial aid, you must first submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If this has already been completed, please skip to Step 2.
STEP 2: contact THE office of FINANCIAL AID
If one of the circumstances listed above applies to you, please contact the Office of Financial to request a Special Conditions. A Financial Aid Representative will be able to look at your account and help determine if completing this process might be a benefit for you.
Please note, the Special Conditions process does not automatically award a student additional financial aid. It simply recalculates the information on the FAFSA and your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC), which determines the type of aid you may be eligible for. Even if there is a significant reduction of your EFC, this does not guarantee additional aid.
STEP 3: coMPLETE SPECIAL CONDITIONS FORM
If you would like to proceed with the Special Conditions process, a Financial Aid Representative can add the requirement to the student's account and you will have access to download and complete the form.
- The form will detail the required documentation you must submit based on your specific circumstances.
- If you are unable to provide supporting documentation, unfortunately, we will not be able to process your request.
- FAILURE TO INCLUDE ALL DOCUMENTS OR LEAVING ITEMS INCOMPLETE WILL RESULT IN A DELAY IN THE PROCESSING OF YOUR INFORMATION OR HAVING IT RETURNED FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
Please mail ALL items to:
Office of Financial Aid
PO Box 1002
Millersville PA 17551
Or you can email your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
STEP 4: PROCESSING TIMELINE
Please be aware this review will take some time to complete due to the large number of forms that are expected.
- Estimated completion time is 4-6 weeks from the date all documentation has been received.
- Once your Special Conditions Request has been reviewed, you will receive an email to your Millersville University email detailing the outcome and will be notified if any additional aid will be awarded on your account.
- If you do qualify for additional aid, it may not be significant enough to drastically change your balance due. Please visit our website for information regarding additional aid resources such as a Parent Plus Loans, Private/Alternative Loans, or a Payment Plan.
RE-EVALUATION FOR STATE AID
Below are forms to complete for re-evaluation for eligibility for a PA State Grant:
The information reported on this form will be used by PHEAA to reconsider your eligibility for the PA State Grant. DO NOT LEAVE ANY LINE BLANK.
Please note: if you mail this form to our office, we will NOT forward it to PHEAA - you must send it directly to PHEAA!
Return the completed and signed form to:
PO Box 8167
Harrisburg PA 17105-8167