Graduate Students

Graduate Students

The information on this page is for students in a Graduate Program and seeking their Master's or Doctoral Degree ONLY! The information contained on this page does not apply to students in an Undergraduate program or students in a Post-Baccalaureate Certification program.

Please read below for more information regarding your program and financial aid. You can also print out our Graduate Studies & Adult Learning Financial Aid Help Sheet and Checklist to help guide you through the financial aid process!

  • Common FAFSA Mistakes

    In order to be considered for federal aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at

    Before you complete the FAFSA application, please read the information below to help guide you through answering some of the FAFSA questions that many students entering the Graduate or Doctoral Programs find confusing to answer. These questions appear under the Student Demographics section of the application. Please note, answering these FAFSA questions inaccurately may delay the processing of your financial aid.

    What degree or certificate will you be working on when you begin the school year?

    • Choose the option: Graduate or professional degree

    What will your college grade level be when you begin the school year?

    • Choose either: 1st-year graduate/professional OR continuing graduate/professional or beyond

    At the beginning of the school year, will you be working on a master’s or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, graduate certificate, etc.)?

    • You should answer: YES to this question if you have been admitted into a Master's degree-seeking program.

    Please note, that by answering yes to one or more questions in the student status section, you will automatically be considered an independent student. You will receive a pop-up box asking if you wish to provide parental information on the FAFSA - it will indicate that some schools require this information. Millersville University does not require parental information for students seeking a master's degree. If you are submitting your FAFSA to other schools, you should check with their Financial Aid Office to determine if you need to put parental information on your FAFSA.
  • General Eligibility

    To be eligible for federal aid, Graduate Students must meet all general federal aid eligibility requirements, as well as:

  • Award Eligibility

    Students seeking a Graduate Degree are NOT eligible for any federal or state grants.  Once a student receives his/her first bachelor's degree, s/he is no longer eligible for federal or state grants.

    • As a Graduate Student, you are eligible for up to $20,500 in an Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan per academic year (including Summer, Fall, Spring terms). 
      • The Office of Financial Aid will award the maximum amount you are eligible to receive.  If you wish to reduce or cancel any portion of your award, you may do so by contacting the Office of Financial Aid at 717-871-5100.
      • Graduate students cannot exceed $138,500 of the total amount borrowed in Federal Direct Loans for any undergraduate degree or graduate degree (this includes any amounts borrowed for your initial bachelor's degree, Post-Baccalaureate Certification, Graduate Programs, etc.
  • Other Aid Options

    Graduate Students apply for a Graduate Assistantship to help fund their education in graduate school.  For more information, see the Graduate and Professional Studies web page.

    Graduate Students may also apply for Scholarships - please see our scholarship searches and tips on finding scholarships

    If the Federal Direct Loan is not enough to cover your expenses there is additional funding for which a graduate student can apply:

    It is recommended that students exhaust the Federal Direct Loan eligibility before looking into additional loan options. A graduate student can receive up to $20,500 for one academic year in federal loans. Keep in mind that the Office of Financial Aid cannot process financial aid for more than the cost of education
  • Tuition, fees & billing

    For more information about Millersville University's billing, please see the Office of Student Accounts (OSA).

    For tuition costs per semester, please see the Graduate Tuition Costs.  All Graduate students are charged at the graduate rate per credit, regardless of the number of credits enrolled. 

    Please see our cost of education website for information regarding costs for Graduate students (for financial aid purposes only).