What is the difference between a DSW and PhD?
- In both degrees the students take similar amounts of credits and complete dissertations. However, the DSW emphasizes applications to field practice in the community. Therefore, DSW students also have the opportunity to complete field hours or a praxis project as part of the program.
What kind of jobs can DSWs apply for?
- DSWs can become faculty in colleges and universities. DSWs can also hold leadership roles such as executive director, private consultant, development director and program evaluator.
How long is the program?
- The program is designed to be completed in three years.
How many credits are in the program?
- There are 48 credits in the program.
What is the program focus?
- The DSW program has a combined emphasis on leadership and teaching. This allows students to develop a well-rounded skill set for a variety of practice application.
What is a praxis project?
- A praxis is a type of fieldwork where the student does not accumulate hours. Instead, the student designs a community project and is then evaluated based on project implementation and reflection.
How often do students need to be on campus?
- The first weekend of every semester (a total of eight times) students will complete on-campus intensive residencies. These weekends allow students to engage directly with their professors and cohort and gain assistance in meeting expectations. Before the residencies, students will receive information on hotels available in the area.
Are GREs required?
- No, GREs are not required.
Is an MSW required?
- Yes, applicants must have an MSW from a CSWE accredited program.
Is teaching experience required?
- No, applicants do not need teaching experience. However, applicants do need 2 years of post-MSW clinical experience.
How do I start an application?
- Directions for the application process can be found here: https://www.millersville.edu/admissions/graduate/admissions/apply/index.php
When is the application deadline?
- There is a rolling deadline. Once one cohort is filled, applicants will be informed whether they have been accepted into the following cohort.
Are there any tips for the essays?
- The personal essays should reflect on the program's dual focus of teaching and leadership. The academic essay should utilize appropriate APA style and survey professional/peer-reviewed literature.
How do I register?
- Once a student is accepted, the department will provide guidance for registration.
How much is tuition?
- Information on graduate tuition can be found here: https://www.millersville.edu/osa/tuition-fees/gradcosts.php
Are there any scholarships available?
- Resources for DSW grants can be requested from the department.