School Social Work Certification
Post Master’s Certificate in School Social Work
The School of Social Work at Millersville University is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) to offer the Post-Master’s School Social Work certification. The School Social Work certification is designed to prepare social work students with the required knowledge, skills, and expertise to “support the academic, career and personal-social development needs” of diverse, vulnerable, and at-risk PreK-12 students and their families.
Governor Wolf’s Reach Out PA initiative (2020) specifically identified that “School social workers play a unique role in addressing mental health by providing holistic services and supports in the school setting, such as crisis management, mental-health treatment, and engaging the school, family and community in enhancing existing student-support structures that ensure the success of all students” (para. 10). In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the School Social Work certification is required by school districts.
Upon completion of the required coursework, the Certification Office at Millersville University will assist eligible candidates with the Pennsylvania certification process and provide recommendations for the Post Master’s School Social Work certification. See Certification Office page for more details.
Completion of the courses (18 credits) listed below along with field placement in a school setting is necessary for a certification in School Social Work certification.
- SOWK 606: School Social Work (3)
- SOWK 630: Advanced Field Practicum I (3)*
- SOWK 631: Advanced Field Practicum II (3)*
- EDLD 620: School Law, Public Policy and Principal (3)
- SPED 580: Diagnostic and Assessment Strategies for Students with Disabilities (3)
- Any one of the following:
- EDUC 561: Second Language Acquisition: Theory, Programs and Assessment (3)
- EDUC 564: Assessment, Policies & Practices in Teaching English Language Learners (3)
* Field practicum experiences in a school setting may meet field placement requirements for Post Master’s School Social Work certificate.
See the Graduate Catalog for course descriptions.
Contact: Dr. Leonora Foels at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.