Master of Social Work
The Millersville & Shippensburg MSW Program
Millersville and Shippensburg universities are jointly offering a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree program. It is designed for students who want to either further their education in social work or join the social work profession. The program was developed to support both the full-time student and the working professional. State-of-the-art technology permits students to acquire social work knowledge, skills, and values through multiple educational methods, including traditional campus classes, teleconferencing
An MSW permits graduates to work in a variety of human service programs and agencies in an advanced clinical and/or administrative capacity. The flexibility of the social work degree provides graduates with many options as they pursue their careers in the helping fields.
The joint MSW program was designed according to the Council on Social Work Education's (CSWE) accreditation guidelines. At the January 2007 meeting of the Accreditation Commission of CSWE, the MU-SU MSW program was awarded candidacy, which is the first major action in the accreditation process. In February 2008, a second year of candidacy was granted and the self-study process, which takes two years to complete, was begun. February 2010, the Master of Social Work program operated jointly by Millersville and Shippensburg Universities, earned accreditation from the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) from Fall 2006 until February 2014, retroactively including students who entered the program in Fall 2006. In 2014, CSWE reaffirmed our accreditation through 2022. The program achieves its goals through implementation of the core competencies and practice behaviors as outlined by the program's accrediting body, the Council on Social Work Education.
Our MSW Program
Learn About Our MSW Program
PROGRAM MISSION AND GOALS
The mission of the joint MU-SU MSW Program is to provide accessible social work graduate education in the South Central region of Pennsylvania. We prepare students to be effective advanced generalist practitioners, committed to the purpose and values of the social work profession.
The MU-SU MSW Program goals are:
- To prepare students for competent advanced generalist practice through the acquisition and demonstration of social work practice behaviors consistent with CSWE educational policy and accreditation standards.
- To prepare students with the specialized knowledge and skills for social work practice with client systems to resolve problems and facilitate change
with inthe boundaries of ethical practice and with attention to the profession's commitment to social justice and human rights.
- To encourage students' commitment to continued professional development and lifelong learning by providing opportunities for community engagement and
real lifelearning experiences.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional behavior.
- Engage diversity and difference in practice.
- Advance human rights and social, economic, and environmental justice.
- Engage in practice-informed research and research-informed practice.
- Engage in policy practice.
- Engage with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Assess individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities.
- Intervene with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Evaluate practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
School Of Social Work
Stayer Hall, Room 301
P.O. Box 1002
Millersville, PA 17551
MSW Secretary: Ms. Beth Colvin
Phone: 717- 871-7170
- Learn More